Monica's Recipe of The Month #3: Shakshuka
Posted on August 18 2022
Although Monica is more of a sweets lover when it comes to breakfast, she can't deny the power of a delicious savory one. So the next time you're in the cooking mood, make Shakshuka, a saucy and spicy dish with veggies, eggs, and melted mozzarella cheese!
So let's get cooking!
1, 10 oz packet of baby bella's
2 garlic cloves
1/2 sweet yellow onion
1 15 oz diced can of tomatoes (garlic, basil, oregano)
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
4 fresh mozzarella rounds
1-2 T olive oil or stock
1 adobo chipotle pepper from a can. We recommend trying this sauce from Pinch of Yum for the remaining adobo peppers.
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1-2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp 21 Salute
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Fennel
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Grab a bowl. Dice eggplant, leaving the skin on, and take about 1/2 tsp of olive oil and coat. Season with some garlic powder, 21 salute, paprika, cumin, and pepper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Grab a paper towel and dampen. Clean the mushrooms first before chopping. Use the same bowl to absorb leftover seasonings from the eggplant. Sprinkle some garlic salt, pepper, fennel, and rosemary onto the mushrooms, and mix.
- Pour the remaining olive oil or, if you're using stock, into the pan. We used a cast iron pan- best for flavor- but okay if you do not have one. Saute the mushrooms for five-seven minutes, and then set them aside. Chop the onion and garlic and toss in the pan. Saute until fragrant, and then dump in the two tomato cans.
- Add in the remaining seasonings and adobo pepper. Cook on medium heat for twenty minutes before adding the mushrooms and eggplant. Simmer for close to an hour, so the acidity of the tomato sauce subsides. Make sure to stir in between so it does not burn. If the sauce gets too thick before adding the eggs, you can thin it out with some water. Adjust seasonings if need be too.
- Make wells for the eggs. Break up the mozzarella balls throughout the dish and then cover. Set to medium heat and cook the eggs to your liking! We suggest over easy. The yolk is delicious mixed with the sauce.
- Enjoy! Best served with a fresh loaf of bread or white rice.